Saturday, August 20, 2005

Rebecca's update

Saturday 08/20/05 (day -2) - Rebecca's update:"Tech inspections and registration today. Basically, a LOT of standing in lines. Someone mentioned that it was like being in the Army. The nice thing about standing in all of these lines is that you get to meet and talk to the people standing next to you. I met some new friends today and got to catch up with some old ones. DeVerne did my inspection and he looked over the bike, the cell, checked my VIN # against that listed on my insurance, checked my helmet, etc. It was the most intensive tech inspection I've ever been through, but also possibly the smoothest since I've been preparing for it for so long and I was ready. Then I went out for a short odometer check - it felt good to take a ride.
After the odo check I was directed to a short seminar, then I signed some forms, got my tshirt, pin and hat, and I was videotaped giving a release statement. The final line took me right to Mike Kneebone himself - he and his staff looked over my forms, double checked everything, and pronounced me registered. Whew!

If all of this sounds like a big deal, it is. This is The Big Show. The long lines and waiting don't bother me at all. It's incredibly exciting, I feel so privileged to be here, and I'm having the time of my life.

Tonight I'll have dinner with friends, but I've been warned that tomorrow is a 'business day' with final preparations, mandatory riders meetings, the opening banquet, and hopefully a good night's sleep. We start our 11 day adventure on Monday morning at 10:00 Denver time."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

see web stats