Friday, August 19, 2005

Rebecca's update:

Friday 08/19/05 (day -3) - "I left Milwaukee early on Thursday and had a good day of riding, but was tired from not getting enough sleep Wednesday night. The ride was also frustrating due to an audio problem with using the custom earbud speakers with the mp3 player and the radar detector.

I took a nap at 5pm, which helped me identify that the audio problem was operator error...the radar detector has two volume controls, and I had basically muted the sound by adjusting the knob with a gloved hand. Afterwards, I had the best ride through western Nebraska and eastern Colorado...It is SO gorgeous here!

This morning, I awoke to a phone call from Dale Wilson (IBR Tech Inspector) saying that he had a pair of PIAA 910 driving lights to loan me, and could I be down in the parking lot in 10 minutes. A couple bolts/nuts/etc. were needed and a trip to Home Depot was planned, and then someone noticed that one of the fuel cell mounting bracket welds was broken! Luckily, the fuel cell manufacturer, Bill Macavan was at the hotel to help with the tech inspections, and he made a quick phone call and summoned a local welder with a truck to come fix the weld in the parking lot! This was all arranged before I could return from Home Depot. How's that for service?
Somewhere, I also lost a tail light lens, but the local dealer has one and I'll run and pick it up today. I also want to look for a pair of vented gloves, because they'll make riding much more comfortable in the heat.

Riders have been arriving by the minute, and everyone has been asking each other,"So, are you ready?" I suppose people are just nervous or tense. Anyway, there's a roped-off section of the parking lot marked "2005 Iron Butt Rally parking only" and it's filling up fast. It's thrilling to be here!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

see web stats